Friday, June 3, 2011

Do the Dave Ramsey!

Well...
In recent months this little family has been through A LOT! From the loss of a grandma,to being laid off, and other non-mentionables, we really have taken a huge hit at the beginning of this year; and I felt like I was just recovering from the loss of my grandpa.


That said, God is still good, and will ALWAYS remain sovereign, and just in whatever He so chooses in this life. He is amazing, and whenever He allows valleys, they always seem to be followed up with a mountaintop! 


So, my husband was laid off, yes from December-February. What seemed to be a terrible, tremendous, horrible, horrendous (...does anyone else's kiddies watch Kipper?) time, actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because I needed him. There's no way I could have done the Stay at Home Mom thing by myself, and grieve at the same time!


Last year we began the Dave Ramsey program, which I would recommend to anyone who is serious about getting out of debt, and getting all of your duckies in a row. It is an amazing program, that goes baby step by baby step to help you in reaching the ultimate goal of Financial Freedom! Woo Hoo! Well, we are so glad we had started, because the first step was to save up an emergency fund. Did it! Yay, what a relief, right? The only thing, is I hate to spend savings, I would rather just leave it put. Oh well, that's what it was there for right? An emergency. We considered the lay-off an emergency. So anywho, Hubby was laid off, and we had a very minute savings to help us along. It seemed as though God's own hand was providing the entire time for our families needs, and what a testimony it was to His promise that He cares for us! 


What was waiting for us on that other side of the valley, was a permanent job for my man, along with benefits, and all that good stuff we had given up when we made the decision for me to be a Stay at Home Mommy! Yay!


Now here's the deal... all the frivolous spending has to come to a halt, and we have to go back to scraping pennies to refund our emergency account, and pay off all debt, invest, college funds... the list goes on. 


This is SO hard for me! I don't know why, but when I see a good deal on something, I feel like I have to snatch it up, or I'll never get it again (dramatic, I know). I've also made a vow to organize my house in the next month, and to make it a cozy nook of relaxation in this crazy world we live in. Yikes! Did anyone know that organizing costs money? All the little bins and storage things, well they don't come cheap. 


Did anyone know that my favorite hobby costs money? Thrifting! My favorite thing to do! 
So, here's for one of the fruits of the spirit, self-control, and for doing the Dave Ramsey, which is what my husband and I tell each other anytime the other one is tempted to buy something. "Babe, we've gotta do the Dave Ramsey". Love it! The idea is that you live like no one else now (going without), so that you can live like no one else later (you won't have the debt weighing you down like everyone else). We can do this! 

This post was really random, and a little drawn out, but everyone is napping, and I needed to give myself a little inspiration not to use our tax return to buy new couches, but to pay off debt. New couches will always be ready for me later (Right?!?). 


So, I'm going to try to post about the little accomplishments that we make in saving money. My first goal is to try my best to organize with what I already have. Eek... it's definitely a challenge. I'm going to try not to by any new yarn or fabric, until I've used up what I've got, and I'm going to try and only buy clothes from thrift stores and garage sales. Maybe I'll take you through my thrift-shopping process. So fun! 
O.k. I think that's all, so...


The End. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment